Tuesday, March 6, 2007

“Be still and know that I am God…”

CPT Dan Hardin
Chaplain 1-501st PIR

FOB Iskan, Iraq
March Geronimo Newsletter


“Be still and know that I am God…”
When I get in to situations that are difficult, God often recalls scripture to my mind or brings someone across my path carrying His word. The words, “Be still and know that I am God” are found in the Psalms and in the prophets. They bring me great comfort in times of trouble.

We all know Iraq is a dangerous place. But danger is everywhere. Trouble is everywhere. Sickness, disease, problems with children, betrayal, the temptations of this world, and challenges exist in everywhere. When times of trouble come, I get nervous. Sometimes in my naiveté and immaturity I wonder what I did to get God upset. I don’t like it. And I confess, I get fidgety- full of nervous energy. It is almost like I need to do something in my apparent helpless state. So I rush around looking for answers. I cry out to everyone and God in panic. It is about that time when I hear that still small voice inside of me saying, “my son, be still- let me handle it.”

One of the greatest things about being in relationship with God, besides being forgiven and accepted, is to know He is in control and He has a plan and purpose for our life. I love to hear those words, “Be still and know I am God.” In that moment, I find peace and strength to endure. The problem does not always go away in the way I would like or in my timing. However, I find the resources to manage and thrive in the stress.

I encourage you to respond to the voice of God in your moment of need and troubled hour. Relax. Give it to Him. When you have fulfilled your obligations and did all you can do, trust him. He cares for you and watches over you. He is a present help in times of trouble. Give him your stress and worry. Lay your burdens down at the feet of the Lord and allow his grace, love, and mercy to flow into your life situation.

The Geronimos and I really appreciate your love and support. Keep the prayers going up- they are working miracles over here. Keep the emails, letters, and care packages coming over- they are life to us. May God bless you richly and keep you until we are reunited.

No comments: