Thursday, November 27, 2008

An Iraqi Thanksgiving

(click on any image to enlarge)


Friends/Family, below is an Email from an ROTC buddy of mine, 1LT Sgroi, some of you know Tony, some of you don't, please keep him in your prayers as he approaches his final months in Iraq and celebrates Thanksgiving over there.
Cheers,
-Sam
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hello everyone!
I realize it's been months since I sent out a big email update so I figured today would be a good day to get it done.
Anyhow, Happy Thanksgiving to all of you and your families. I'm thankful that I have so many great friends and family that have supported me since I've been here. It's been almost a year now, and I've still got about 3 months left. Hopefully the time will go by quickly.
Work here has been kind of crazy as of lately. Just like when I was in school, as time winds down I seem to get busier and more overworked. Since I started working in the city of Abu Ghraib, I've learned to expect anything and be ready for it at any time of the day or night. My men and I are all pretty tired, and definitely ready to come home (or at least take a break). It's that kind of exhaustion that can't be fixed by taking a day off or sleeping. We all need some serious relaxation (and a beer) I think.
The bright side of all that work though is all the progress we've accomplished here. Abu Ghraib has gone through a major transformation over the last year. The residents feel safe again, and we've begun to really focus on rebuilding. Over the last couple of weeks we've been paving roads, installing street lights, renovating hospitals and schools, and cleaning up a lot of the rubble from the war. People are sometimes so thankful that they'll invite me into their homes and insist on feeding me. Iraqis are some of the most generous people you'll ever meet and I've learned to respect and love that about this place.
Of course there's always still some bad guys left and that's what I spend most of my time doing is targeting those remnants of the insurgency. Its similar to being a detective and a SWAT team all at once.
Anyhow, I hope you're all doing well. You're all in my thoughts and prayers, especially those of you who may be reading this and here in Iraq or on your way here soon.
God bless and happy Thanksgiving.
Tony

No comments: