Monday, November 24, 2008

Close Encounter Of A Piper Kind!!

Dogwood Air Park landing West to East
I have been a road bicycle rider since about 1980. After several years in the dirt on the MTB with Sam I bought a Trek 1000 in 2006 and went back to the roads.
So 38 plus years of riding I have had numerous "close encounters". Almost hitting a deer at 40 MPH in a rain storm on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Elbow brushed by passing vehicles. Empty beer cans bounced off my helmet. Dogs, plenty of dogs (but no bites). Last week's Arte Johnson in the middle of Eskimo Hill road. This to name a few.
I might have to rank last nights Piper encounter as one of the most unique yet. I was out wandering and decided to do a loop of Dogwood Air park, just off Route 1 near Stafford High School. Looking at the photo, I came in on the far right road/taxi way, rode to the far East end and then came back. I cross over to the road on the left heading for Piper Lane. Half way down an airplane landed East to West. I didn't give it much thought as I turned left onto Piper lane, looking up to the top of about a 1/2 mile hill. So imagine my surprise as I am half way up I am out of the saddle, and I hear the airplane behind me. I reached the top and end of the road and turned back to see the Piper taxiing toward me. Not knowing which house he was heading for I backed off the road as far as possible and just watched. He turned left into the last driveway, closest to me, his wing tip less than 30' from me. I just wish I had my camera.

No comments: