Thursday, January 18, 2007

A Letter From Boot Camp, Nov 1970

USCG Training Center
Cape May, NJ
16 Nov 1970

Dear Valerie,

Well I got the heading of the letter done a couple of days ago (Sat. 14 Nov 1970) but didn’t get around to the letter until today (Mon. 16 Nov 1970). This whole weekend I have been so nervous. Just waiting to find out where I will be going. All day Sat. and Sun. there were rumors about where everyone was going. Sunday, several times, the Yeoman tried to get the list of what Districts we were assigned, but couldn’t get them until just before evening chow. I don’t think I ate two spoons full of dinner. My mind was a million miles away thinking about what would happen, if I got stationed far away from you. It kept running through my mind.

Well I ran back from chow as fast as I could. The Yeoman arrived about 15 minutes later and most of the guys had gotten back from chow. We were all sitting around in front of the barracks. Then he walked in and read the list of who got what Districts. Boston came first, that’s where Terry got, then came the 3rd district, HQ, N.Y.C. and Governors Island, NY. 4 names were read off, then mine and a few others. I had to ask the Yeoman to read it over again. I don’t think I believed what I heard the first time. I couldn’t believe it. I got my first choice, District 3 and then to get assigned to N.Y.C. I almost flipped my lid. It was unbelievable. One thing was unsure. On the list, it said Governors Island, NYC, unit to be assigned. That means I will find out what my assignment is for sure tomorrow (Tuesday).

I haven’t found out yet, but I went over and talked to the Photographer Mates and he is going to talk to the Photographer Mate in Governors Island to see if they need a man to strike, to help out. I went this morning and I hope to hear something tomorrow. I am really setting on the edge of my seat. I talked to the Seaman who is striking here and almost cried. He said he had 5 or 6 years of experience before he came into the C.G. He said he had shot some pictures with a friend for Life Magazine.

I’ll tell you chick, I am sacred. I am really scared about going into this deal. I just hope the Photographer Mate in G.I. will want to put up with a dumb bunny like me. Val, I want to learn the field of photography so bad I can almost taste it. The Seaman here said the officer in charge at G.I. is a real professional and expects perfection. He will ship anyone out who doesn’t measure up to par. So you can see why I am scared.

Do you realize that I might be with you even before you get this letter? Wow, only 4 more days of boot camp. To be exact, 94 hours left until we graduate.
Well I must get running. I have got to get down to the phone to call this very special girl I happen to know in N.Y.C. I sure hope I can get a phone. I must run.
I’m getting awful excited.

Soon Baby,

Jay

No comments: