Thursday, January 18, 2007

In The Potter's Hand


Romans 9:21

“Does not the potter have the right to make out of the same lump of clay some pottery for noble purposes and some for common use?” (NIV)

Author: H. Beecher Hicks

Look closely here! Paul said that the potter has the power over the clay… God molds us and makes us and holds us in his hand. It’s no news to you that every potter has the job of molding, making and holding.

The reason that God is involved in the pottery process is that God needs instruments and not objects. Any potter can make an object to sit on the shelf. Any potter can make an artifact that is a thing of beauty and a joy forever. Any potter can make an item of retail sale that men can purchase or leave alone. But God does not need objects. God needs instruments. Far too many who are engaged in the Christian enterprise are objects, but they’re not instruments.

An instrument says I’m good for something …
An instrument says I have a purpose …
An instrument says I have value …
An instrument says I can be used …

Always remember that the potter does have the power over the clay. The potter has the creative power. He brings into being that which was not …

The potter has creative power. He can stoop down in the dust of the earth and pick up lumps of clay and breathe the breath of life into it until it walks and talks like a natural man. The potter has creative power.

But more, the potter has re-creative power. Jeremiah says that sometimes the pot is marred in the potter’s hands (Jeremiah 18:1-4). Sometimes the pot does not do what it was designed to do. But the potter just takes it and breaks it and molds it and makes it what he would have it to be. I’m glad to know that when I’m marred and broken, the Lord is not through with me yet. I want him to re-create me ...

We end where we began: God molds us and makes us and holds us in his hands. No matter what happens in this life, I’m in his hand. What a mighty God we serve! Right or wrong, up or down, poverty or wealth, sickness or health, come what may, I am in his hand.

Hallelujah, I am in his hand.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I pray, Thy will be done. Make me an instrument!

No comments: