Sunday, June 24, 2007

Perfect Weather For Marathon Acheivement!




Hi Family and Friends,
I did it! I joined the 26.2 club! I finished my first marathon today in 4:28. I kept a pretty steady 10 minute mile pace and had awesome friends to cheer me on at the end when I needed it! My whole Army wives Bible study came out and cheered at miles 17, 21 and the finish. And of course Beth and my friend Michaella were there cheering me on from the beginning. It was an awesome race. The weather was perfect, a cool 59 degrees and overcast with a light mist of rain towards the finish. I didn't even sweat very much because it was so cool. I even saw a moose at mile 9 just strolling out of the woods. Six miles of the race was on trails through the woods across from Post and I heard that some runners even scared a black bear up a tree - only in Alaska! I am walking pretty stiff now, but actually feeling pretty good. All of my training paid off and am I so glad I did this. Having Sam gone is so hard and training for this race has kept me sane and healthy!
Love,
Gretchen


No comments: