Sunday, April 1, 2012

Ready For The Open Road

Wow!! March!! What a month. A new job and new method of commuting, VRE train and bicycle.
324 commuting bicycle miles. I thought I was starting out slow by riding twice my second week of work, then three times, then four times and last week, every day. With just two, additional weekend rides, my highest monthly total for riding miles added up to 361.


My commute is 1.9 miles to the Leeland Road VRE station, about 40 minute train ride to Lorton and then a 7.3 mile, 35 minute ride to my office on Fort Belvoir. Including a shower, it is under 2 hours door to door. A no brainer because my employer helps pay for the public transportation. On the way home I have time to add a couple of miles enroute back to Lorton.

I am extra excited about this coming week as I will be breaking in my new touring/commute bike, a Trek 520. Here are the specs.

Colors Metallic Bronze
Frame Trek butted 520 chromoly
Fork Chromoly Touring w/lowrider mounts
Size 60cm
Wheels Shimano Deore hubs; Bontrager Camino alloy rims
Tires Bontrager Race Lite Hard-Case, 700x32c
Shifters Shimano Dura-Ace, bar end control, 9 speed
Front derailleur Shimano Deore LX
Rear derailleur Shimano Deore
Crank Shimano Trekking M543, 48/36/26
Cassette Shimano HG50 11-32, 9 speed
Pedals Nylon body w/alloy cage
Saddle Bontrager Evoke 1
Seatpost Bontrager Race Lite, 20mm offset
Handlebar Bontrager Race VR, 31.8mm
Stem Bontrager Race Lite, 7 degree, 31.8mm
Headset 1-1/8" threadless, sealed bearings
Brakeset Avid SD-5 brakes w/Tektro RL520 levers
Grips Bontrager gel tape w/Isogel padding
Extras Bontrager Back Rack Deluxe

(Click on any image to enlarge)
Ortlieb Back-Roller Classic waterproof panniers





Shimano PD-M324 pedals with SPD clips on one side

 Shimano Dura-Ace, bar end control, 9 speed

2 comments:

Travis & Maggi said...

Dad this is pretty awesome. I have to say that I am rather jealous that not only do you get your workout in (x2) every day while you're commuting to work, but you get paid to do it. Beats sitting in a car any day. That bike looks awesome.

Mags

Nate said...

J,
Bike looks great. I was researching the net, saw your bike photos and wanted to know if you have your Ortlieb's mounted all the way to the back of your Bontrager Deluxe rack, or if there is any more adjustment. I'm looking at the exact same set up and am concerned about heel strike. Is it working out well for you? Thanks for taking time to respond. Nate

npselle@hotmail.com